European Accident Statement Forms – Do You Have Them?

Having lived in Spain, we grew accustomed to insuring our vehicles there, and dealing with the issued paperwork from the insurance companies.

One of the documents included with the insurance pack was a European Accident Statement form. These are to be kept in your vehicle at all times, completed at the time of an accident, and signed by both drivers if applicable.

Thankfully, apart from utilizing the included roadside assistance, we never had required a motor vehicle accident lawyer while we lived there, so never had a need to complete the form.

Fast forward 5 years since driving in Europe and it came time to insure our first motorhome.

When I received the insurance documents for the motorhome, it did not contain an accident report form which needs to be filed in the Local Accident Reports in case of any. Despite numerous emails to my insurance company they said that they do not issue a form before an accident and only supply a claim form after any accident may occur.

It is likely that if your insurer has not provided you with one of these forms you may never have heard of them, as they are not commonly used in the UK.

You may have been issued with one of these forms from your car insurer in the past if you requested a green card for temporary insurance cover in Europe, but as most motorhome policies have automatic European wide cover without the need for a green card, they may not issue the Accident Report Form.

The idea of this post is to inform you of the European Accident Report form, its uses, how it is completed, how it can help you and where to get the forms. If you still have some problems or doubts, hire an expert like the ones from the car accident lawyer connecticut firm.

What Is The European Accident Statement Form?

The forms are issued by European motor insurance companies. They have a standard look and composition across Europe but will be in the local language of the insured. The fact that all forms are composed exactly the same will help you to complete the form with another party even if the form is in a different language. Also, we recommend taking the best CPR Classes in Indianapolis to take care of a loved one in case of an emergency.

We hope it never happens to you, but if you do have an accident, it is better to have one of these forms in your vehicle which you should complete at the scene. In case of any injury make sure you find where to find PI Lawyer in Virginia to recover.

You should familiarise yourself with the questions asked on the form before travel so that if you do have an accident, you do not panic at having to complete it. The outside cover of the form has the following advice and it is good practice to follow.

A train accident can be a devastating incident resulting in serious injury or even death to the victims involved. Whether it is a derailment, a train-vehicle collision, a railroad crossing accident, an accident involving hazardous materials or any other type of railroad accident, many people may be harmed. Where negligence on the part of railroad employees, the train company or a governmental agency, or equipment manufacturers has been the cause of such an accident, they may be held liable for damages connected with resulting injuries or deaths, contact the rochester train accident lawyer office and find our more.

don’t get angry
be polite
keep calm

The form is called European Accident Statement in English and the following names in local languages:

SPANISH – Declaración Amistosa De Accidente
FRENCH – Constat Amiable D’Accident Automobile
GERMAN – Deutch Europäischer Unfallbericht
DUTCH – Europees Schadeformulier
CZECH – Záznam O Dopravní Nehodě
PORTUGUESE – Declaração Europeia de Acidente
POLISH – Wspólne Os’wiadczenie O Zdarzeniu Drogowym

Why Bother If My Insurer Does Not Provide The Form?

In the event you have an accident in your motorhme in mainland Europe, it is likely that the local driver will have one of these forms and will want to have it completed at the scene of an accident. He may also be expecting you to have your own copy of the form. Both forms should be completed and signed by both parties.

In the heat of the moment, it can be difficult to know how to deal with the form which is likely to be in the local language, and you may also have the other driver loosing his cool in your ear, again in a language you may not understand! Remember: Don’t get angry. Be Polite. Keep calm.

What Is The Purpose Of The Form?

The form is designed to record details of the accident while the details are still fresh in your head. It is intended to be a friendly agreement between the parties of the details of the accident, without admitting liability.

It is used by the insurance companies and is intended to speed up the claim process.

It is also a useful tool for gathering vehicle, insured, driver and accident details rather than writing them on the back of a napkin!

How Do I Complete The Form?

The form is divided into 15 sections. The following is a summary of each section:

1. Date and time of accident
2. Where the accident occurred
3. Tick to indicate if there were any injuries (even slight)
4. Material damage to the vehicles or any other property
5. Details of any independent witnesses

Sections 6-12 is divided into 2 columns for vehicle A and vehicle B. You should complete the details for vehicle A and then copy what the other driver has put in the same column in his form into vehicle B.

6. Details of the policyholder as on the insurance certificate
7. Details of the vehicle.
8. Details of the insurance company as per the insurance certificate
9. Details of the driver of the vehicle taken from the driving licence.
10. Indicate the point of impact for both vehicles.
11. Description of vehicle damage.
12. This section includes descriptions of circumstances in which the accident occurred. You should tick any that apply and write the number of boxes ticked in the bottom box.
13. Draw a sketch of the accident
14. Add any additional remarks which is also divided for vehicle A and vehicle B to be completed by each driver.
15. Signatures of the parties involved.

Both forms should present a similar synopsis of the details of the accident. If the other driver does not agree with the details you have recorded and refuses to sign the form, indicate this in the “My Remarks” section. Similarly, if you do not agree with the other driver’s version of events, write this in the remarks section.

Send off the completed form to your insurance company as soon as possible to speed up any claim.

Where Can I Get A Copy?

The European Accident Report form is freely available on the internet and it is easy to print yourself off a copy. Here are 2 websites that have copies in the various European languages.

The second site also includes a link to a handy online accident sketch application which may help the insurance companies with the claim, if like me you are useless at drawing!

You will obviously need access to the internet and a printer after the accident to use this facility, but it may be helpful to include one of these sketches with the form when sending it to your insurance company.

Further Advice

Print off and keep in your motorhome at all times at least 2 copies of the form in English. Also print off a copy of the form in each of the additional European languages. This will help with completion of the form with someone who doesn’t speak English, and it can also be given to the other driver for completion if he does not have his own form to hand.

If you have an accident and use a form, remember to print yourself off another blank copy/copies as soon as possible.

If anyone is hurt, if you are in any doubt, or you suspect the other driver of drinking or having taken drugs, call the police immediately.


Before you even think of completing the form, put on your reflective vest before leaving the vehicle. Put out warning triangles to warn other drivers. Take pictures of the accident and surrounding areas with your phone. Then if possible, move the vehicles out of the path of other traffic.

What Else Should You Carry With You?

In continental Europe different countries have different laws of what you MUST carry in your vehicle at all times. The following is a list of the most common items you must carry in most of the European countries, but may not be exhaustive and you should check you have what you need in each country.

Remember that it is the law to carry these items in your vehicle at all times and if you are stopped by the traffic police and do not have them available, you most likely will face an on-the-spot fine.The most common items you must carry in Europe are:

  • High visibility reflective vests for everyone in the motorhome in case everyone need to vacate the vehicle after an accident or breakdown.
  • Warning triangle in case of breakdown or accident. You should ideally carry 2 and place them at equal distances behind your vehicle to warn approaching vehicles.
  • If your vehicle does not have compliant EU number plates displaying your country you should have a GB sticker on the vehicle.
  • A spare bulb kit.
  • Beam benders to straighten your headlight beams so you don’t dazzle oncoming drivers.
  • 2 breathalyser kits (France)

Make sure you have these items before travelling. You can buy kits which contain all or most of the required items.

You also need to ensure that you have the ORIGINAL V5 registration document and your insurance certificate. It would be wise to keep a spare copy at home and also take a further copy with you. You must also have your driving licence (both sections if you still have a paper section) available for inspection.

I hope this has been of some help. If you are aware of any information I have left out, or any mistakes I have made feel free to leave a comment below and I will update the post. Remember to always do your own research.

Whilst the post may have been of some use, I hope you never need to use the information it contains. Happy and safe travels.

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links to Amazon for the European Road Kit. If you purchase from Amazon using these links, we will receive a small commission. This is paid to us by Amazon and does not affect the price you pay – it is still the same price to you. This will help to buy us a coffee when we hit the road so thanks for your support 🙂

You can learn more about this and all of the other rules, regulations, and other important information when you take lessons at a professional driving school. If you’re looking for a trustworthy school, driving lessons in Ellesmere Port by a reputable company.